Get to know us better.
Boardwalk Investment Group, Inc. AMO® has been in the real estate services business for over 23 years. We have managed over $750 million in real estate assets in 11 California counties. Our office in Walnut Creek services all of California.
Boardwalk is proud to be one of the first and few Bay Area property management firms to hold the Accredited Management Organization (AMO®) designation awarded by the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM®).
Darren G. Merritt and Stanley T. Smallwood are the principals of Boardwalk Investment Group and leaders of the Boardwalk team. Both principals are directly available to clients and are involved in every account served by Boardwalk.
Darren G. Merritt
Darren G. Merritt is President and CEO of Boardwalk and a graduate of Louisiana State University with a B.S. in Engineering. He has over 22 years practical experience in the real estate industry in management, leasing, sales and consulting.
Highly credentialed in the real estate industry, Darren is a Certified Project Manager (CPM®), Real Property Administrator (RPA®) and a Certified Commercial Investment Manager (CCIM). He is also a licensed California Real Estate broker.
Darren has been elected to numerous leadership positions in associations such as the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), Building Owners' and Managers' Association (BOMA®) and CCIM. His extensive involvement in organizations such as these provides a variety of benefits to Boardwalk clients, including advocacy for clients’ real estate interests, knowledge of pending legislation, and an invaluable network of business contacts.
Currently, Darren is an active member of the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), the BOMA® Oakland/East Bay, BOMA® California Board of Directors and Northern California CCIM. Darren has previously served as:
- 2013 President - Elect for the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM®)
- 2012 Treasurer for the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM®)
- 1998 & 1999 President Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA®) California Board of Directors
- 1994, 1995 & 2000 President Oakland/East Bay Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA®) Board of Directors.
- Oakland/East Bay Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA®) Vice President and Treasurer
- Governor to Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA®) International Board of Governors
- President, Treasurer and Director for the Northern California Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) Chapter
Darren has been an instructor for the Building Owners’ and Managers’ Institute (BOMI®) classes and is a facilitator for the IREM #800 Ethics Course.
Stanley T. Smallwood
Stanley T. Smallwood is Vice President and CFO of Boardwalk and a graduate of Louisiana State University with a B.S. in Engineering.
Stan joined the Boardwalk team a year after its founding in 1987. With his command of real estate industry accounting principals, Stan has successfully operated the accounting side of Boardwalk’s real estate services business for more than 23 years. Clients have recognized Boardwalk’s accounting under Stan as some of the most accurate, precise and thorough in the industry.
Stan has used Yardi property management software for more than 23 years. (Globally, Yardi is the leading provider of cost effective, high performance investment management, asset management and property management software-solutions.) Stan’s Yardi expertise and flexibility allow him to customize reports for clients.
Stan avidly follows changes in both law and practice in the industry in order to continue to provide superior service to Boardwalk customers.
Stan is also a licensed California Real Estate Broker.
Marlowe M. Prinzing
Marlowe M. Prinzing is the founder of Boardwalk Investment Group, Inc. She has over 35 years of property management experience working with developers and owners in retail, commercial and residential real estate. She is a California Real Estate Broker, a CPM®, an Accredited Residential Manager (ARM®).
Some of Marlowe’s contributions to and achievements in the industry include:
- Awarded 1997 Contra Costa Woman of the Year in Business and Technology
- 1996 President for IREM® San Francisco Bay Area Chapter #21. Her work with the Chapter helped it earn the National Gold Award.
- Founded the Real Estate Alliance for Charity where she continues to serve as an advisor to the Executive Board.
- Served as 1988 President of the Diablo Valley Property Managers Association where she was instrumental in establishing classes in the East Bay for individuals seeking their CPM® and RPA® designations.
- Serves as a National Faculty Member for IREM®, teaching the Accredited Resident Manager Course #101 and acting as a facilitator for the #800 Ethics Course.